Sunday 13 May 2007

Goldfish, Beetles and Dragons

Yesterday the jet lag set in again so that Tim and I didn't wake up until about 4pm...but we still determined not to waste the day!
We started with some exploration of the streets around Olympic Terrace; a medley of shops, street restaurants (pai dongs), fish shops, Chinese medicine stalls, metal factories and markets. Most of the doorways and shops have a group of old men playing Xiangqi (chinese version of chess) or mahjong which they seem to do all day long, often with a small crowd of spectators.

We then headed down Lai Chi Kok street and ended up in the heart of the goldfish market, where the streets are lined with plastic bags selling every variable of goldfish and thousands of species of tropical fish, all selling for just a few dollars.



As well as turtles and tortoises of all species!


One mysterious set of stairs led us to a tiny shop selling beetles, full of beetle fans. I think they fight them but I'm not too sure... the little boys were more than happy to show off their bravery to our cameras!



Today we went dragon boat racing with Bill and Maureen in Stanley on Hong Kong island... I got absolutely knackered and the heat really got to me...I've only just recovered! I'll write more about this later though...I'm too tired right now!

4 comments:

Hair said...

beetle shop 'full of beetle fans' - this just gets better

x-M-D-x said...

reptiles look great, glad you're having a good time x

Stuart Otley said...

OK. Getting slightly jealous now...But I wonder how legal/ethical are those turtles and tortoises? Have you tried to buy one yet and asked for the CITES certificates? At least they're pet shop reptiles, not supermarket ones. Not sure I want to see pictures of those.

Mrs Otley said...

HI PATRIK
WE HAVE BEEN READING
YOUR WEB SITE .ALL
the gold fish and tropicle
fish must make
you feel
seasick.
from branton school.